Friday, March 11, 2011

Gluten Free Love

The words gluten-free and love rarely go together.  In fact - when I was diagnosed with Celiac disease fifteen years ago I was sure those two words could not even be in the same solar system.   "Your significant weight loss is due to gluten" blandly reported my doctor.  

Gluten, a natural protein found in wheat, rye and barley is in everything.  What specifically you ask?  Cakes, cookies, pretzels, bread, cheeses, gum and even hair products include wheat.  In fact in the early days - the I had coined the phrase "The ENTIRE WORLD is made of gluten".   

Battered but not broken I dusted myself off and decided that if that was to be my fate - than my elaborate and dramatic (yet *ahem “unaired”) nightly cooking shows with my mother would now be gluten free.  Spectacular dinner and cocktail parties?  Well gluten-free of course!  You see, gluten-free is not just a way of eating, it is truly a lifestyle.  

I did not begin this diet for enjoyment, but I now am consumed with a fiery passion for the food and the gluten intolerant.  Fluffy rice bread with cream cheese and lox have become a mid-morning staple. The ever elusive spectacular tasting Indian curry dishes roll off my wooden spoon with the ease of a professional chef.  I now love everything about food; the taste, texture and the feel.  

Gluten-free, which used to be cruel and angry adjectives, have now grown soft, tender and graceful words I say with respect and reverence. I speak lovingly about the food that nourishes my body and soul with, and therefore every bite has become something to think about, relish, enjoy and share.  

And that my friends, is true gluten-free love.   

7 comments:

  1. Hooray! So happy that you started a blog. Keep writing! I'm in the spot where gluten free seems like a death sentence. I mean, chocolate chip cookies are my favorite food, for heaven's sake. Not to mention pizza. And gluten free. Well. Let's just say that so far, it doesn't interest me, at all. But. My son may have Autism Spectrum Disorder. And so gluten/casein free is the first thing to try, apparently. And since I also have many signs of gluten sensitivity (eczema, acne, ibs, weight gain, insomnia, infertility)...I'm thinking this is our fate. But I love the way you talk about food. It gives me hope and really, that's what I need right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man! Thank YOU! Guess what - it's a death sentence for a bit. There is a mourning process. But - gluten free is a process. Its a rhythm or a movement. It is not easy. But it IS doable. So let me know where you are on your process and how you are growing and how I can help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Julie! So proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew once you had a taste- ha! a taste!- of the writing world you would have to have your own. SO very glad you've made a place to love and teach. Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Julie - I LOVE your post!! What a journey you have been on (and continue...). Now think how you give hope to others that are in the first stages of adjusting to "gluten-free" :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you thank you thank you! I so appreciate it! I have not even begun to "own" this place yet so I may still come over for visits to you all! Any "tips" or design help is appreciated!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You have made GF seem doable when I was told to go off of wheat, If Julie can do it and eat and survive and still be fabulous, I can too!!

    ReplyDelete